Friday, February 29, 2008

Church Fees for Weddings Are Just Too Much.


I sometimes pretend that I am Steven Spielberg and do video coverages for my friends’ weddings. (Channeling Quentin Tarantino wouldn't be a good idea.) Now, if its one thing I notice is that these churches sure charge a hefty fee for the event. Imagine having to pay something like Php 15,000-35,000 (i.e. USD $400-900) for the event just for the church expense alone (at least here in Metro Manila).

Let’s do the math. There is at least one wedding for weekdays. On weekends, there would be about three for each Saturday and Sunday. That means that churches here in Metro Manila could be making as Php 200,000 per month (about USD $5K) or Php 2.4M a year (about USD $60K).

Hot diggity man, I'm in the wrong business.

All I can say is that I thought matrimony was a sacrament like baptism, communion, confirmation and confession. By logic, since I have to pay for weddings, does this mean that I have to pay for my baby to be baptized into Catholicism, for each time I receive communion and for each time I confess to a priest how many times I cursed in the past month?

I guess what I am appalled at is the prices that these churches are charging for weddings. I could probably take paying at most up to Php 4,000 to cover for the paper work, labor, electricity and the re-used flowers that the church incurs for my red carpet two-hour life event. I don’t see the justification in charging above Php 15,000 and all the more Php 35,000.

This is just too much to pay for a sacrament.



Thanks for visiting! If you like this post, please consider subscribing to my full feed RSS.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"this is too much to pay for a sacrament." Mismo bro!