Monday, February 25, 2008

“I just want the sandwich, not the combo meal.”


I’m not sure how it is in the other countries but I have noticed that around here in the Philippines, the smallest unit of purchase seems to be the “value meal” or the “combo meal.”

Last weekend, I once again gave in to my hamburger craving at a famous outlet of a grilled burger franchise. Once again, the same type of conversation occurs between me and the sorry guy across the counter.

“I want the Whopper sandwich with no onions.”

“Okay sir, what size of fries would you like with that?”

“No, I just want the sandwich not the value meal.”

The guy just stares at me in horror as if I said something sacrilegious.

“Okay sir. Just the sandwich it is. What type of drink would you want with your value meal?”

“Dude, you’re not listening. I said I’m just getting the sandwich not the value meal. But I will have a large orange juice.”

“Okay sir. One large orange juice and one Whopper sandwich. Hindi po ‘yung value meal. (Not the value meal.)”

The Whopper sandwich was good as always. It was a filling lunch. The French fries were kinda soggy though…



Thanks for visiting! If you like this post, please consider subscribing to my full feed RSS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have one more for you.

a former colleague ordered hotcakes from a popular fastfood chain. this is how the conversation went: "isang hotcake meal" "2 piece po?" "meron bang iba?" "wala po"

hahaha! so what's the point of asking if it's a 2-piece hotcake meal she wanted?

Gaijin Pinoy said...

Hahaha! The person probably forgot that he/she didn't work for pancake house anymore =)